I have made this for supper this week and I thought it would be a good recipe to share as it is so quick and easy! You can also make this a vegetarian dish which is just as tasty if you don’t add the bacon and ensure the sauces etc… are vegetarian also. You can also make this gluten and dairy free! This is a really speedy and simple week night supper that you can serve alone, with rice or nachos. It’s really good with added cheese on top and guac and sour cream!
This is also a good one to make if you are entertaining a lot of people- a good alternative to a chilli if that’s something you make all the time and you’re looking for something different! You can also make in advance and freeze or refrigerate it. I made this whole batch and kept the rest in a Tupperware and had it for lunch for the next two days! Enjoy!
- 2 diced red onions
- 8 rashers of bacon - I used Maple Cured but you can use any bacon
- 1 x 400g tin of green lentils drained
- 1 x 400g tin of flageolet beans drained - these are not as exotic as they sound, you can find them in the tin aisle in your super market or use kidney beans instead
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 tsp of lemon grass paste- again available in the supermarket or use a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 x 400g tins of tinned tomatoes
- dash of water
- 2 tablespoons of barbeque sauce - I used Heinz
- 8 chopped close cup white mushrooms
- Spray a large pan with fry light or put in some olive oil
- Dice the onions and brown them off
- Chop the bacon in to small pieces and brown off too
- Add all the other ingredients one by one and mix in
- Leave to simmer for 20 mins
If you try this at home don’t forget to tag me on social media- I’d love to see what you make!