Hello everyone and welcome to another day of Blogmas! Today I am sharing with you my Christmas cake recipe. I have just make my Christmas cakes, I have made four loaf cakes this year as I will be giving some as gifts and also keeping a small one for ourselves. This recipe makes two loaves OR one 7 inch round cake. This recipe is my own and it is an amended version of Mrs Beaton’s Twelth Night Cake.
Now that I have made my cakes, I will keep them in a tin and feed them each week with some Brandy, you can use other alcohol if you like. I just pour it over the cake, this makes it nice and moist. I ice my cake/s close to when I want to start eating them, so keep your eyes peeled for that post soon!
- 6oz butter or margarine
- 3 oz brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 70ml milk
- 1 level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2oz golden syrup
- 12oz of dried fruit- I used sultanas, candied peel and crystallized ginger
- ½ level teaspoon dried ginger
- ¾ lb of flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 160 / 140 fan / gas 3
- Line two loaf tins or one 7 inch cake tin
- Cream together the butter / marge and sugar
- Beat in the eggs
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk
- Add milk to mixture and stir
- Stir in the golden syrup and beat mixture together
- Add fruit and spices
- Sift in flour and salt and mix
- Add your mixture to your tin / tins
- If cooking 2 loafs then cook for 1 hour 10 mins
- If cooking 1 round it could take 2 - 2½ hours
- Cakes are cooked when a knife or skewer comes out clean
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and don’t forget to come back to find out how to ice an occasion cake. Read more of my recipes here!
Don’t forget to come back every day in December for more Blogmas posts!
Like my FACEBOOK PAGE